Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Would you read these books for $420?


Years ago, when my children were in middle and high school, I heard an old audio cassette by a motivational speaker who came up with a list of books that he felt like his son should read as he became an adult. He offered his son $10 for every book read. He said it was a good investment and very worthwhile. I thought it was a neat idea so I did it with my kids. (But I offered $20 per book. I figured with inflation costs it was only fair to double what the motivational speaker did with his kid in the '70's.)

Unfortunately, they didn't have too much interest. They had enough homework assignments from their teachers and they weren't interested in doing homework for dad -even for money. I've only paid out $20 so far.

I thought the list was long forgotten until last night Bailey came to me with the list and asked, "Dad, is this deal still good?" Of course, I said, "Yes." She went to the bookshelf to seek out some of the books. So, it looks like I may make this investment yet. So what books are they? These are some books that I think everyone should read. I won't pay you $20 per book but I would suggest you read them and possibly make a similar arrangement with your kids. Hey, it's a lot cheaper than college - and probably more valuable.

Honest to God (Bill Hybels)
Financial Peace (Dave Ramsey)
The Purpose Driven Life (Rick Warren)
The Search for Significance (Robert McGee)
Found: God’s Will (John MacArthur)
Ordering Your Private World (Gordon McDonald)
How to Win Friends and Influence People (Dale Carnegie)
30 Days to Understanding How to Live as a Christian (Max Anders)
Mere Christianity (CS Lewis)
More Than a Carpenter (Josh McDowell)
The Kneeling Christian (author unknown)
The Hour That Changes the World (Dick Eastman)
Autobiography of George Muller
Joshua (Joseph Girzone)
The Big Bucks

Books of the Bible:

Genesis
Exodus
Ecclesiastes
Acts
Romans
Revelation

No comments: