Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why College is so Expensive


Two weeks from tomorrow, my baby girl will move into her dorm room for her freshman year at Gardner-Webb University in North Carolina. Now both of my offspring will be in college. I'll gladly accept your prayers anytime.

So earlier this week, Bailey gets a letter from GWU telling her about a new feature on campus this year. It's called Laundryview. Laundry is free for students on campus. That's a nice touch. But here's the big bonus: You can go to laundryview.com to check the status of each washer and dryer's availability as well as how many minutes remain until your load is complete. She showed this to us and I thought, "You've got to be kidding me! Every washer and dryer on the campus is wired to the internet? How much did that cost and guess who's footing the bill for it? We wouldn't want our precious children to walk downstairs to the basement of the dorm to actually see if there is a machine available or to see how much time is left on it, would we?"

Turns out laundryview.com is not a new thing. They have it on college campuses all over the country and, I suspect, in apartment complexes, too. I know we live in the 21st century but I just couldn't believe it when I saw it. God bless the person who created laundryview.com. I wonder how many people thought they were crazy when they came up with the idea? I guess they're sleeping in late this morning or headed toward the beach. And I guess they have their own washer and dryer at home now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mother in law attended Gardner Webb. Her maiden name is Washburn. In fact, I think every Washburn in the Boiling Springs area attended there! Great school from what I've heard though! I told her about the washer and dryers and she assures me that the washers weren't connected to the internet when she went there. She couldn't believe it. I think we are all hoping for the day when the washer and dryers will come get the clothes for us then fold them and put them away so we don't have to. Technology is amazing! Love your blog Gene!

Alicia Nordeen