Thursday, November 18, 2010

Introducing - A New Way to Stay Organized in 2011


I've always been a pretty organized person so you can imagine my frustration over the last couple of years as I've tried to keep my calendar, to-do lists, journals, etc. in 5 different places. Before I got my smartphone, I used a standard DayRunner-type system. The Samsung Blackjack II (pictured below) has been my calendar for the past several years. I back it up on Google Calendar.. My phone is definitely handy and portable but it has limitations. 

I have 3 other things to keep me and my thoughts organized. In the picture at the top, the book on the left is my main source of organization. This book (a blank journal I picked up at Office Depot on clearance for $7) is primarily work-related. It includes my to-do lists, reminders, and other things to remember like notes from important phone conversations, contacts, etc.

The book in the middle is another journal I keep for my writing projects. It includes ideas, thoughts, websites, to-do lists, etc. Anything regarding writing goes in this book.

The third book (far right) is my journal. It includes occasional entries, diaries from trips, and quotes from books that I read or messages I hear. A lot of the quotes that I tweet come from this book.

I've been frustrated as I juggle all of these different things. I haven't found anything on the market that would accommodate my needs. Daily planners (e.g., DayRunners) have too much unnecessary stuff for me and they don't give you a lot of room for journaling. What to do?

I created my own book - Lifelines: A Planner & Journal



I wanted to put everything in one place so I created my own planner/journal. With Lifelines, I can combine my calendar, daily planner, reminders, to-do lists, goals, and journal in one book. A place for everything and everything in its place - all in one place! Whether it's something I need to do before the end of the day or something I want to do before I die, I can keep it here.

It features a monthly calendar spread over two pages with a coil binding so it will lay flat. There are pages for your to-do lists, quotes, annual goals, even your bucket list. Most of it is lined pages for journaling.

I realize that there are plenty of digital tools to use out there like RememberTheMilk.com and teuxdeux.com but I'm not always online. Sometimes it's still easier just to write things down.

I look forward to trying it out in January! How about you? Does this sound like something you could use? I'd love for you to give it a try and let me know. I'm sure that next year I'll tweak it some. For now, it's ready to go for 2011.

Maybe it would make a great Christmas present for the organized people in your life?


4 comments:

mike said...

great stuff but i have given up on being organized,its just not in my dna

april said...

Gene P....I want it! I have too many notebooks. How do we get it? Awesome idea!

april said...

Gene P....I want it! I have too many notebooks. How do we get it? Awesome idea!
April Sturgell

Gene said...

April, there's a link above the picture or the link on the top right of the blog. Let me know if you have a problem.

Thanks!!