Friday, September 24, 2010

The Simple Life

This is probably my favorite story of all time. I've posted it on this blog a couple of times at least. It is the first entry in my first book, Timely Words. There is just so much wisdom in this story. In case you've never read it, here it is again:

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a little boat with one fisherman docked with a slim catch.

The American asked him, “Why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?”

The Mexican replied, “This is all I need to support my family for a few days.”

“But what do you do with the rest of your time?” the American inquired.

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I dine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed at the Mexican. “Listen. I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this little village and move to Mexico City or even New York City where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

“But how long will this take?” the fisherman asked.

“About 15-20 years,” responded the expert.

“But what then?”

The American laughed. “That is the best part…when the time is right you would sell your company stock and become rich.”

“Rich,” the Mexican dreamed aloud. “Then what?”

The businessman said, "Then you could retire, move to a small coastal village and sleep late, fish a little, play with your grandkids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings and play the guitar with your friends."

No comments: