Friday, January 23, 2009

Some Thoughts on Prayer

An excerpt from a book I'm working on...

We allow the busyness of life to cheat us out of quality prayer time. Our calendars, gadgets, and inability to sit quietly to pray and meditate on God allow the gap in our relationship with him to increase. Bill Hybels authored a book titled, Too Busy Not to Pray. It was titled with Martin Luther, the key figure of the Protestant Reformation, in mind who once said, "I have so much to do, that I cannot get on without three hours a day of praying."

We naturally think just the opposite of Luther. We maintain a lifestyle with no margin, little downtime, and constant interruption. We are too busy to pray. Luther understood that the busier he was, the more he needed to pray. He recognized that when he worked, he worked. But when he prayed, God worked.

I confess that I have been aggravated at believers who tell me, "I don't have time for prayer. I don't have time to read my Bible. It's difficult for me to find time to spend with God." Then, when the subject is changed that same person rattles on and on about every show they watched the night before on primetime television. We have the time. We just have to make prayer a priority.

No comments: