Monday, March 22, 2010

Why the Healthcare Bill Doesn't Bother Me (Too Much)

Over the last 48 hours, I've noticed a lot of Facebook posts and Tweets about the demise of the USA due to Congress' recent vote regarding Obama's healthcare reform bill. There was a day when I would be in line fussing and complaining about it. And though I did make a brief remark about it to a fellow Tweeter this morning, I have remained pretty silent about it.

Am I for it? Not really. It seemed to be a lot of information to be digested that was pushed through quickly. I would like to know more about this huge document that will eventually involve my money. But that's only speaking as a citizen of the United States.

I am not a citizen here. I don't belong here. The Bible clearly states that my citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20). I am an alien here - a passerby, a tourist, a pilgrim on my way to an eternal place where, as CS Lewis wrote, "we will one day speak of the galaxies of old."

There was a time not too many years ago when I listened to conservative talk radio almost daily. I subscribed to US News & World Report, The Nation, and other news magazines. Like millions of others, I watched Fox News sometimes until my blood pressure reached dangerous limits. It was not healthy.

At some point, God reminded me that my job on earth as a Christ-follower is not to see that morality is legislated but to see that Jesus Christ is lifted up because by doing so men will be drawn to Him. I am a missionary here. The Christian population is dwindling in the United States. Church attendance is perhaps at an all-time low. According to some researchers, less than one-fourth of the population attend church with any regularity. In the 90's over 40% of Americans attended church at least once per month according to Gallup.

If you are a Christian in America, you are living on the mission field.

Now let me ask you a question: If you were a missionary in Rwanda, India, Japan, Germany, or Argentina, would you occupy your time trying to straighten out the government's problems in those countries? No. You would spend your time ministering to people one-on-one in your local community, training Christian leaders, and reaching out in practical ways to those who need to hear about the amazing grace of Jesus.

The revelation a few years ago freed me up. I changed the radio from Rush Limbaugh to ESPN radio. I stopped subscribing to the magazines. I rarely watch the news. I haven't put my head in the sand completely. I get the local newspaper everyday and look at every page. I see the news online. I vote. I am aware of what is happening but I've decided that God is WAY BIGGER than the President, Congress, and even the National Debt. I will continue to strive to be a good temporary citizen of the USA but my real citizenship is not here. It's in heaven. For now, I will attempt to be a heavenly influence in these weird times in which we live.

I trust you will too.

4 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

I'm thinking we need a good solid does of persecution to get our perspective to change.

I give a lot of free time to preaching the gospel and biblical principals, caring about the country, and doing my best to hear God and do it. That said, no one cares what I think in or out of the church.

When I was in Brazil, we prayed for the nation, and a Christian candidate along with winning souls, and caring about people.

Each one of us is accountable to God for our part in the body, and I'm hoping the meeting goes pretty good.

Marissa said...

i have never really stressed about issues like these because I realize that God is not going to allow something to happen to us because someone has deviated from his leading. But I also realize that God has placed the president in that position for a reason, he has been ordained to lead this country. He may see something we do not.

greg said...

yay! we think a whole lot alike, Gene! as a Christian and a pastor, i don't find too many who think this way...except for non-Christians who want to explore God!

Walt and Betsy said...

Gene you must not be a Christian if you aren't heading for the hills after this Bill. And there is no way you are a Republican or Conservative!
I agree with you. We can and should have a voice, but when we talk and worry more about a bill than lostness then we have missed the point! More people will get in "holy huddles" bashing this bill instead of figuring out we save the lost - Luke 19:10