Thursday, December 03, 2009

What Would Jesus Say to Tiger Woods?


Like millions of people, I'm disappointed in Tiger Woods. He's obviously put his marriage at risk by being unfaithful. While the story still isn't 100% solid, it seems there's something fishy going on. I'm sure the tabloids have misreported or misrepresented some things, but it appears evident that Tiger has crossed the line.

It also disappoints me that he has communicated only through his blog. I wish he'd call a press conference and let all the cameras and mics record him saying, "I've sinned. I messed up. I'm going to try and make things right." To be honest, I think he's being a little cowardly by not stepping up and facing this thing. He's a public figure and it must be confessed in public (in my humble opinion).

Do you wonder what Jesus might say to Tiger? Here's a thought:

Jesus went to Florida and at dawn he appeared in a wealthy subdivision where all the people and media trucks gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The media brought in a man caught in adultery. They made him stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this man was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such men. Now what do you say?"

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at him." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the man still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked him, "Tiger, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

"No one, sir," Tiger said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

(An adaptation of John 8:1-11)

3 comments:

Julie said...

But Gene (in all Christian love). . . did Jesus say "Now go confess your sins to the media and the entire nation because you are a public figure." ??? :) Really not trying to start a discussion, just pointing out my view. He sinned (it appears) against God and broke a vow to his wife, but nothing to do with me or the public at large - although yes, I agree, very disappointing. Plus, I would say that the words he says mean nothing - only God knows if there is true repentence in his heart. :) Hope you have a good day.

Gene said...

Hey Julie,

Thanks for the comment and for reading! My view about Tiger confessing publicly is not necessarily a "spiritual" reason. I just think he should 'fess up and move on like Andy Pettit, NY Yankees pitcher who took steroids, and even David Letterman who looked at the camera and confessed.

I just think it shuts down the tabloids and speculation and helps everyone to move on. Hope you and your family are doing great and have a Merry Christmas!

David-FireAndGrace said...

It will be interesting to see if he 'mans up' like Cobie Bryant, Mark Spitzer and Mark Sanford.

The problem with sin isn't whether it is public or private - but whether it is forgiven by God.

David
www.fireandgrace.com