Thursday, February 05, 2009

Kneeling We Triumph

One of the greatest books on prayer that I've ever read is called Kneeling We Triumph. It is actually a two-volume set that is no longer in print. I was searching for a quote the other day from the book and enjoyed skimming through it and reading the scores of sentences that I highlighted years ago when I first read it. The book is a compilation of writings on prayer from some of the great spiritual minds of the past. I thought that I would share some of them here:

Prayer is not just a good idea, it's God's divine plan. (Armin Gesswein)

Every great movement of God can be traced to a kneeling figure. (D. L. Moody)

The one who will not take time for prayer may as well resign all hope of obtaining the fullness of power God has for him. (R.A. Torrey)

Prayer is the Christian's greatest resource and the one least used. It is his greatest obligation and the one most neglected. It is the most common form of devotion, yet the one least understood. Prayer is the gateway to God's presence, but few enter. Prayer is the channel of God's grace, but in most lives it is clogged...where there is no prayer, there is no power.

I would rather teach one man to pray than ten men to preach. (J.H. Jowett)

Prayer is a form of spiritual bombing to saturate any area before God's army of witnesses begin their advance. (Wesley Duewel)

A praying church is strong though poor in all besides. A prayerless church is weak though rich in all besides. Praying hearts only will build God's kingdom. (E.M. Bounds)

Better, far better, do less work, if need be, that we may pray more; because work done by the rushing torrent of human energy will not save a single soul; whereas work done in vital and unbroken contact with the living God will tell for all eternity.

More later...

1 comment:

chuck young said...

why don't we or why can't we get on our knees? i ask myself that question and don't have an answer. part, of not all, of the answer lies in my unwillingness to give all of me to Him. i say i do but do i really give myself completely to Him?