Saturday, October 27, 2007

Vacation Scoreboard



At the beginning of my vacation, Mike Fiedler sent me a link to Tim Stevens blog that gave statistics on his book writing retreat and suggested that I do the same. Tim Stevens logged the number of hours he worked on his book, number of pages written, etc.

While I didn’t go to the extremes that Stevens did, here’s an idea of what I did do while on my brief reading/writing sabbatical.

Books read or currently reading:

Purple Cow by Seth Godin
Book Proposals That Sell by Terry Whalin
Changes That Heal by Henry Cloud
Jeremiah by Jeremiah via Holy Spirit (PS – Chapter 9:23-24 is the passage of the week. Look it up.)
If you haven’t got time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over? by Jeffrey Mayer
The Speed of Trust by Stephen Covey, Jr.
Beyond the Box: Innovative Churches that Work by Bill Easum and Dave Travis

Books that got a good, honest skim: (Note: A good, honest skim was a skill learned in seminary. I guess some would call it speed reading. I go through every page and skim each page, stopping at points of interest along the way. By doing that, I get the gist of the book but I don’t comprehend it entirely like a true speed reader.)

God’s Gravity: The Upside-Down Life of Selfless Faith by Craig Borlase
The Backward Life: In Pursuit of an Uncommon Faith by Jarrod Jones

Articles read: A Dimension of Being by Rick McKinley & stuff in 2007 Catalyst book

DVD watched: Just Stop and Think (15 minute film by Francis Chan given away at Catalyst)

CD's listened to: A series of messages on missions by Todd Ahrend (ask me for copies - they're incredible)

Writing projects worked on:

Wrote personal stuff in my journal.
Developed a book proposal for my novel “The God Robbers”
Created an outline (13 plot points) for new novel titled “Slow”
Revised/edited non-fiction book “Your Greatest Challenge” also brainstormed for other titles.

Motorcycle rides = 0

Thanks to a wonderful family (who will remain anonymous here since I’m not sure if they want me to publicize this) who allowed me to stay at their condo at the beach from Thursday to Saturday! It was great to get away and have some “me-time” though I missed being home with my honey and kids.

No comments: