Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Late Night Brain Dump


- I'll be attending the Catalyst Conference Thursday and Friday in Atlanta. A large group from TNC will be in attendance. I'll be able to connect with some old friends too.

- I've been reading Purple Cow by Seth Godin. Talking about the power of TV in its early days, he tells the story of the creation of Cap'n Crunch cereal. If you had a commercial on TV, you were guaranteed to sell your product. In 1962, Quaker Oats hired Jay Ward, the creator of Bullwinkle & Rocky, to create an animated commercial for a kids cereal. Ward invented Cap'n Crunch cereal and made the commercial. After the commercial was created then Quaker Oats began to produce it!

- We're over halfway through our SHAPE series on Sundays at TNC. It's a great study if you've never done it before. I know it was incredibly helpful for me when I was able to put the 5 elements of SHAPE together years ago.

- For the record (in case you were in TNC's 2nd service last Sunday) I turned 46 on my birthday Sunday - not 52.

- The Gamecocks are doing pretty good. Kentucky will bring a good test to Columbia Thursday night. Clemson looked awful against GA Tech! Awful! (Walt, Laura, et. al., you should be ashamed.) I hope the Tigers bring that with them to Williams-Brice in November.

- Speaking of football, the NA Yellow Jackets are having a good year. Yes, they are only 3-3 but considering their record over the last couple of years 3-3 is a major improvement. The guys are playing with a lot more confidence this year. We get into our conference schedule against Lexington this Friday. I think we will do well in region play. Expect NA to make it to the playoffs this year. That's right. I'm calling it.

- We are reading The Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley as a staff. Pretty good stuff.

- Good news about one of my writing projects. Found out yesterday that an editor with a major publisher liked my book proposal. She was supposed to give it to the editorial committee today. They will read it over the next month and make a decision in their November meeting. That's pretty exciting whether they publish it or not.

1 comment:

LAURA'S BLOG said...

Yes, Clemson screwed up their winning streak. Alan was so disgusted he even went outside in the middle of the game to cut the grass. Since Clemson has an upcoming game against Virginia Tech, it has been my opinion that they should just give VT the ball and let them win. I think it would be mean for anyone to beat VT this year. They should be allowed to win all the games after what they have gone through. Ha. That's my 2 cents.
See you at Catalyst.