Friday, June 01, 2007

Are You Stomping Ants or Making Hippos Fly?


I recently ran across this article from www.pastors.com by Gregory Smith. I don't claim to be a time management expert but I do read about it when I can and try to create ways to make the best use of my time. In 1986, God used Ephesians 5:15-16 to persuade me that I should make the most of every day. "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." I've tried to keep this passage in mind ever since then.


Last Sunday, I had the privilege to speak at TNC. I mentioned how much of a time-robber TV is for many of us. The average American spends 4.5 hours per day watching TV. When you consider that you only have about 6 hours of free time (8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, a couple of hours getting ready, commuting, eating, etc. You have even less if you're the parent of young children.) - we really do spend too much time watching meaningless stuff. I mean, really, I'm getting along just fine not watching American Idol, Lost, and Heroes. I confess, however, that I'm addicted to 24. I watch my share of TV too so I'm not advocating an all out fast on TV, but it's just one example of how we can easily fritter away several hours and at the end of the day have nothing much to show for it.

Click the link to Smith's article and maybe you can find a few more minutes in your day that will help you "make the most of every opportunity."

No comments: