Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Jesus Christ, Stand-up Comedian

Lately I've been revisiting a book titled The Humor of Christ by Elton Trueblood. I first read it about 20 years ago when I checked it out of the seminary library and have thought about it many times over the years. I recently found a used copy of it online. (Click the title to get yours on Amazon.)

Anyway, it's interesting for a couple of reasons. One, it's the only book I am aware of that addresses the subject. I wish someone would write another one with a more contemporary tone to it. Trueblood's book was written in 1964 and is a little more of an academic approach. Second, we don't often note Christ's humor when we read the red letters. He used a lot of irony and sarcasm. Jesus was a little bit of a smart-aleck - but in a godly way, of course. I tend to be sarcastic and smart-alecky sometimes so maybe I'm more Christlike than I think!

Jesus inserted a lot of humor in The Sermon on the Mount, for example. Grab your sword and look up Matthew 6:2, 5, 16, 34; 7:6, 12, 34. Now these passages probably won't have you ROTFLOL (rolling on the floor laughing out loud) but keep in mind that Hebrew humor was different than humor today. Jesus was no slapstick comedian but he did know that exaggeration and irony would get a few chuckles. Like when he said that it is easier for a camel to go through the needle's eye - (A small gate available to latecomers at night when the main gates of Jerusalem were closed. A camel had to get down on it's knees and crawl through. Not impossible, just a little more difficult than normal.) - than for a rich man to get into heaven. I don't care who you are - watching a camel crawl on his knees has to be a funny sight.

Trueblood notes over 30 passages in the Gospels where Jesus used a humorous approach. I love to laugh and I like to make people laugh so it's refreshing to know that Jesus was the same way. We need to laugh more, I think. I'm glad I attend a church where laughter is welcome. Church doesn't have to be stuffy. The sooner Christians learn that, the better off we'll be

1 comment:

David said...

Why don't you write the follow-up?