Sunday, December 26, 2004

A Post-Christmas Miracle

We dared the mall today to exchange a coat at American Eagle. Bailey, Beth, and I arrived at around 5 PM. The parking lot was near the overflow mark. "Uh, oh," I thought. Bailey didn't think that we would be able to find the right size coat and was content to wear the one she received from Santa even though it was a size too small. She just knew that there would not be another one like it.

We walked into American Eagle and they had a special table at the front of the store set up for exchanges. (I was very impressed with American Eagle today BTW.) While Beth took care of that business, Bailey and I walked back to the coat rack. From a distance, I could see that there were only a few hanging there. "Aaaargh!" But then I spotted a pink and white coat exactly like the one she had. "Oh, God, let it be the right size." Bailey pulled it off the rack and sure enough, it was the size she needed.

I said, "Bailey, this is a God-thing." She was so happy. She tried it on and it fit so much better than the original. We went back to the exchange table and surprised mom with the good news. As the clerk was checking our receipts, she said, "This coat has been discounted. If you want to stand in line you can get some money back."

"How much?" Beth asked, expecting them to say a few dollars. The girl worked her magic with the little laser wand thing and said, "It's on sale now for $69."

$69? We paid $119 for it! Yeah, I guess we'll stand in line for $50. Turned out to be $51 and some coins. Cash - not a gift card. We gave BJ the money.

Was it a miracle? Was God really concerned about the size of that coat? Did God really answer my flippant little prayer as I approached the coat rack? I don't know. I do know that God cares about all of our needs but it is hard to imagine that he would be concerned about our little coat exchange. I guess at this point we could get into a discussion about the sovereignty of God and all but to be honest, I don't have the mental energy for it. Besides, my wrists are tired.

But here's a thought: 25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
(Matthew 6)

No comments: