Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Gift of Life

When I was in college I was a lifeguard at a local swimming pool. Prior to the summer, I was certified in Water Safety, Life Saving, and CPR. Because it is dangerous to practice CPR on a person, we had to practice on a dummy. We laughed about having to put our mouths on our artificial victims and we made sure to swab the areas clean with plenty of alcohol before passing it on to the next student. It was hard to be serious about it because we all felt a little silly administering mouth-to-mouth to a plastic person. However, a few months later, during a busy July 4th weekend at the pool, I learned the value of knowing CPR. I helped resuscitate a victim who had fallen off a ten-foot high dive. It was definitely no laughing matter. It was critical.

I learned the value of life that day. I learned how quickly life can pass and how important it is to live each day to the fullest. I learned that God has breathed life into each one of us and that we have been given something very special. Do you realize that God has chosen to breathe life into you? It is a precious gift that we must use for His purposes each and every day.

What will you do with your one and only life?


No comments: