Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's About Time

A church member asked me yesterday about my reading and writing habits. Knowing the busyness that ministry at TrueNorth Church brings, he said, "I don't know how you do all of that. You must be a good manager of your time."

I shrugged my shoulders and replied that I've always been a student (and sometimes teacher) of time management skills and I certainly try to make the most of my time.

For me, it is a Biblical mandate. "Be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is" (Ephesians 5:15-17).

This passage was planted deep in my heart in 1986 when I felt the call to full-time ministry. It has been a foundational verse for me ever since. I believe it is unwise and foolish not to make good use of my time. God only gave us so much time to make an impact on this planet. We need to be good stewards of our time.

One of my pet peeves is to hear someone say they don't have time to do something and then five minutes later they recall every meaningless TV show that they watched the previous night from 7-11 PM. I watch my share of TV. I'm not trying to sound superior here. But, think about it, when you find yourself contemplating your life when you're 80 years old will you be proud of the fact that you spent an average of 4 hours a night watching sitcoms and reality shows?

Think about what you could do in four hours. Want to write a book? If it takes you an hour to write one page, you can write a 300 page novel in 75 days. That means if you start a book this weekend it will be complete by mid-July.

Do you want to start a home-based business? 4 hours is a lot of time to invest in an opportunity to make a second income.

Do you wish you had more time to read and study the Bible? Wouldn't that be a better investment of your time than watching American Idol?

Did you tell someone at your church that you don't have time to serve in a ministry? Do you need to think again?

Are you being unwise and foolish with your time?

More on this topic later...when I have time. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good thought here Gene. Needed that verse this morning, too.