Monday, August 17, 2009

What's It Like to Die?


I wrote this for a funeral that I'm conducting tomorrow. Thought you might like it.

I can't fully describe heaven to you. The Bible describes it in colorful language. Revelation 21:21 says that heaven is so great that our most valuable asset here on earth, gold, is what will be used for pavement in heaven.

I think that moving from this life to heaven maybe similar to our being born here on earth. When you were in your mother's womb, you were completely comfortable. You had a warm, comfortable little spot. Food was delivered to you automatically via an umbilical cord. You had no need for clothing. You didn't worry about food, clothing, and shelter when you were in your mother's womb. You didn't know what a mortgage was, or a job, or school, or any of the challenges that we all face. You had it made.

But one day, something happened. The walls around you began to rumble. Things were changing fast and before you knew it you found yourself in a cold, brightly lit room full of people in hospital gowns gathered around a weeping woman. You had no idea what was ahead of you.

If somehow we could communicate with an infant in his mother's womb and describe what was to come after birth, the infant might say, "No, thanks. I'm completely comfortable here in mom's belly. I'll just stay here."

You didn't know what was to come. You couldn't comprehend what was in store for you during your lifetime. But aren't you glad you were born?

I believe our transition from this life to eternal life might be like that. Just like you couldn't imagine or comprehend life on the other side of your mother's womb, you can't imagine or comprehend life on the other side of the grave.

1 comment:

Nina Fiedler said...

WOW Gene! I honestly never thought of death that way. How beautiful! I've never said that before either about death. It truly puts things in perspective.

Oh, I love the picture.. Nina