Tuesday, November 06, 2007

If I Had My Life to Live Over

Not too long ago, I celebrated my 46th birthday. (I know, I know, I look 29. Thanks.) Birthdays don't bother me much. I don't mind getting older. In fact, I kind of like it because it motivates me to do stuff - like help start churches, buy a motorcycle, write books, and take flying lessons (see post on 7/18/07). My age also gives people like Walt and Matt and other young TNC'ers an excuse to make fun of me.

When you realize you're not getting any younger, it gives you boldness to do stuff you've always wanted to do. To be honest, it's not birthdays that have motivated me to do things in the past, but funerals. As a pastor, I've performed many funerals. When I examine the brevity of life, I'm motivated to make the most of mine. I'm haunted by the thought that my dash will be insignificant. You know, the dash that will be on my headstone in a cemetery one day between 1961 (my birth year) and 20-- (my death year).

That said, here's something I found years ago in Chicken Soup for the Soul that stuck with me.

If I Had My Life to Live Over
(Interviews with the elderly and terminally ill)

“I’d dare to make more mistakes.”

“I’d relax. I would limber up.”

“I would take more chances.”

“I would take more trips.”

“I would eat more ice cream and less beans.”

“If I had it to do again, I would travel lighter next time.”

“If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.”

“I would go to more dances.”

“I would ride more merry-go-rounds.”

“I would pick more daisies.”

(Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen, Chicken Soup for the Soul)

“Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)

No comments: