Thursday, November 16, 2006

Proud Humility

A pastor friend of mine preached a sermon on humility one Sunday morning.  While greeting his congregation as they filed out the front door after the service, one of his dear elderly women said, “You know, Pastor, I’ve always been proud of my humility.”

 

Pride is a sneaky thing.  We are naturally bent to look out for number one.  It’s the core of our human nature.  And, if not kept in check, it can lead to disaster.  Someone defined pride this way:

 

P - I am concerned with my position.

R - I want my rights.

- I am most important.

D - My desires are more important than yours.

E - I expect everyone to agree with me.

 

Jesus said, “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”  (Matthew 23:12)

 

 

 

 

No comments: